Monday, March 31, 2008

Accumulatio

Since no one managed (or bothered) to guess yesterday's figure, it was "Accumulatio": saying the same thing in other words, repetition with variation, redundant meaning in novel clothing....

You get the idea.

My picture of Accumulatio is a small pile of dollar bills next to a larger pile of quarters next to an even larger pile of pennies; each pile is the same amount of money, but in different currency. Behind the three piles stands a magician in the traditional cone hat to remind me that another name for Accumulatio is Congeries (like "conjuries").

I forgot to mention that I hope to provide an imaginary picture for each of the figures of speech as we go along. That way I can use the loci mnemonic to remember all the figure and their names.

3 comments:

The Vitruvian Duck said...

Congeries/Conjuries= Paronomasia

Conjuries= additive metaplasm, or maybe Anthimeria?

Anonymous said...

Ah, I get it. Yes, I see it now; I understand the concept; in fact, it all makes perfect sense.

Ignoramus said...

Duck, you embarrass me with your knowledge of the figures. I have set myself this exercise precisely because I do not know all these names! (If this confuses, please review the name of this blog.) But my substitution of "conjuries" for "congeries" might be a kind of paranomasia (which I just looked up in the dictionary) for mnemonic purposes. "Conjuries" is neither metaplasm nor anthimeria, but simply an accepted spelling of an English word. When a conjurer conjures, he does so by conjuries.