Thursday, April 03, 2008

Find that Figure

Just to remind you all (an exceedingly hopeful way to describe the readership of this blog): your task, should you choose to accept it, is to locate in each day's post the sentence containing that day's figure of speech. After an appropriate delay, I will post the answer along with a definition of the figure and the picture I use to remember it.

When the figure was Accumulatio, the task proved almost impossible because I use that figure all the time anyway. Who was to guess that it was anything unusual in these pages? So last time I made a special effort to use the figure again and again, to make it more conspicuous.

The figure? "Anadiplosis", pronounced "AHN-ah-dip-PLOH-sis": ending one sentence or clause and beginning the next sentence or clause with the same thing.

I used the figure a number of times, but one paragraph in particular was almost wholly shaped by it:

Some time we need to revisit the whole notion of "news"; "news" means something new, but new in what sense? Every day the sun rises; is this sun rise new or is it the same old thing? Need it only be a new repetition of an old thing, or must it be new in kind? In kind, almost nothing is new.

This was a hard one to find a picture for, but here goes. I spy in my mind's eye two hills with a valley in between them. There is a house on top of each hill, and two houses side by side in the valley. Each of the houses on the hill tops has an enormous blue ribbon on it, but neither house in the valley has a ribbon. Why does on a hill win? Because "On a dip loses."

Oh, that hurt. Wow. But it's a good hurt.

Notice in this picture that the sequence ribbon-dip is followed by dip-ribbon, so that the end of the first is the same as the beginning of the second. Not tidy, but it's the best I can do!

For clarity, let me note that this post does not contain the figure of today. The "figure of today" post will come this evening. I hope.

No comments: