Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Cutting it short

To get directly to the point: the figure for last post was diacope, Greek for "cutting through", meaning repetition with only a word or two between: "nonsense, sheer, utter nonsense...."

My guest and I drained a bottle of wine over good conversation tonight. On the one hand, the wine was "The 7 Deadly Zins"; on the other hand, my guest was a priest, so it all balanced out. Between the wine and the priest, time has slipped away for writing even the briefest, the most useless and the briefest of posts.

2 comments:

"Father Barry" said...

"Brazen" became "utter?" Those don't seem like quite the same thing...

I love the figure, though. I think I use that one quite frequently. I just never knew what it was called. (And I'll probably forget right away.)

Do I know this Zin-sipping priest? Or have you been holding out on me?

Ignoramus said...

Yes, you know him. His name is Nicholo Machiavelli.

"Brazen" muted to "utter" only after a half a bottle of wine and the turning of Cinderella's coach into a pumpkin. Won't happen again.