Thursday, December 18, 2008

Parental logic

Inspired by Bunthorne's logic puzzles, and by a recent real-life conversation with my kids, I offer the following. One parent (P) tells three children (A, B, and C) to empty the laundry hamper. The following conversation unfolds:

P: I do not know whether the laundry hamper is emptied.

A: I do not know whether the laundry hamper is emptied.

B: I do not know whether the laundry hamper is emptied.

C: I do not know whether the laundry hamper is emptied.

P: I now know whether the laundry hamper is emptied.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you forgot to mention that one of the kids always lies, one always tells the truth, and one sometimes lies and sometimes tells the truth. :)

The Vitruvian Duck said...

I love this series of logic puzzles.
But what I love more is your line:

"The following conversation unfolds:"

It would be a grime to mince words here...and be wishy washy about the never ending cycle of puns one can spin.

Although, maybe it's a good thing your kids won't fold under pressure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dry up. All I hear is static...

The Vitruvian Duck said...

Oh, Sarah, Sarah, Sarah.

Don't you know some men have a pressing need to iron out their thoughts in such a way? I hate to de-pleat my ars-enal in self-defense of a dryer form of humor, but I don't want you thinking of us in dis-stain.

Batter up.

Ignoramus said...

Despite Sarah's efforts to hamper the Duck's pun cycle, I have to come clean: you can't deter gents from puns any more than you can fight the Tide by the Shout-ing.

Sarah S. said...

I still think you're just spinning.