Thursday, February 12, 2009

Gaaaah!

I'm finally recovering from the trip last weekend. While at the conference, I and a reader of this blog saw a man struggling to address the audience without a microphone; when a working microphone was thrust in front of his face and his voice suddenly filled the room, we both burst out laughing--as quietly as we could manage, of course. "Did you see him grow bigger?", I asked. "Yes", my friend replied. "Did you see how he suddenly felt bigger to himself?"

Just today, a lector at Mass struggled for a couple of minutes to get the microphone turned on, but could not. Finally he resigned himself to projecting his voice, but almost as soon as he raised his voice the microphone clicked on. Gaaah! MegaLector takes the podium! Remarkable.

Talking about this with my friend in Florida, I remembered a time years ago when I went to Easter vigil with my wife and then three-year-old daughter. Standing amidst all the adults, she could not see what was happening, but she heard the booming voice that floated down from the rafters. She gazed up in awe, her perceptions untroubled by any sight of the podium. "Papa", she asked, "...is that God?"

No comments: